Thursday, August 19, 2010

Gauging Your Spiritual Tank


Fuel: It's something we know we need in order to get from here to there. Without it, we would all be more or less at a stand-still. And if you've ever run out of it, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

At 17, I had places to go and people to see. Stopping for gas was a nuisance and it always seemed to get in the way of my overloaded schedule. I pushed it until the last second. And one day, I was a second too late. In the turn lane of a busy intersection, my car just shut down. It was embarrassing, dangerous and just plain dumb on my part. Luckily, the music pastor from my church pulled up behind me right after it happened and pushed my car out of harm's way and my brother showed up shortly after with some gasoline.

It only takes once. Lesson Learned. Or so I thought...

Lately, I have been burning my spiritual fuel and neglecting to go in for a fill up. I spent most of the summer squeezing out every work hour possible that was not already reserved for taking care of three boys, a husband, cooking and cleaning. I have only taken 2 days off in the last 40 days. And the gauge on my spiritual life has been moving closer and closer to Empty.

I noticed that my blog had gone un-touched for over a month and since I just finished up my work project, I thought I would update it. However, the ideas were circulating in my head and nothing seemed to come to fruition. And then it hit me. My spiritual vehicle was starting to spit and sputter. I had nothing to pour out because I was just about to shut down. It's embarrassing, dangerous and just plain dumb on my part.

We all know better. And yet, many of us find ourselves running on empty or even worse- completely broken down. God is ready and waiting to renew and refill all of our spiritual needs.

"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

2 comments:

  1. Praying that you will be able to find some moments to be refreshed and renewed. Love you Ashli

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honesty. I hope you can steal away with the Lord soon. He is like a close friend, when you see each other, you just pick up where you left off. Lovingly, Bev

    ReplyDelete