Friday, August 27, 2010

Oblivious Exercise


A few days back, I pulled out a workout dvd that I do pretty regularly. Because Jadin doesn't take naps anymore, he decided to to join me in my afternoon workout. He was enthused and pumped up about his first workout. He went and made a couple of weights out of some toys in the playroom, found a mat and grabbed a bottle of water, just like me. I was amused.

On the first workout, he did windmills 3 times as fast as I could. Actually, he did most of the exercise moves presented at triple speed. On the second day of the workout, he took pauses here and there. By the third day of the workout, he laid on the floor and got up only twice for his two favorite moves: butt kicks and boxing. At the end of the third workout he said, "Why do you do this? It's kind of boring."

Isn't this how most adults go about a new exercise/diet plan? The first day: we're pumped. The second day: we are less enthused. And by the third day, we're ready to quit. I think Jadin exposed a valid reason as to why we do this: exercise is easier when it's fun.

Jadin is almost 5. He has abs of steel and not an ounce of body fat. Although he eats very well, he burns off any caloric intake with his active lifestyle. He never does jumping jacks or sit-ups but he enjoys life to the fullest and plays from the moment his feet hit the floor until it is dark outside. He exercises 10 times as much as any adult and yet has no idea he's doing it.

As adults, we can't run on the playground all day long, or play hide-and-go-seek until it's dark. We have busy lives. And as a result, our workouts get reduced to a dvd or some time at the gym that is really not all that fun. As of right now, there may not be much you can do to change this fact. But, I challenge you not forget the things you love that involve physical exertion.

For me, it's dance. I was a cheerleader from an early age through college. I taught lessons at a local ballroom dance studio. I danced. I ate as much as I do now, but never struggled with weight gain. Now... to lose a pound is hard work. Some of that could be due to getting older, but most of it has to do with not having the time to exercise. So, today... I am letting myself remember how much l loved to dance. In fact, I have a fantasy that Dancing with the Stars would do a spin-off called Dancing with the Middle-Class and I would get to be a contestant. ;)

What do you love to do that inadvertently involves exercise? Do you find time to do it? If not, I pray that God will open up windows for you to get some oblivious exercise.

1 comment:

  1. wow, that hit home! Right now I am doing nothing and need to. My plan is to start walking when it gets cool. You sound like you have a great little exerciser buddy there! I started blogging again today, so I will be checking in on you.

    ReplyDelete