Friday, October 1, 2010

The Nose Speaks...


Yesterday... The boys were playing at the playground and a mom approached me. She said, "Is that your little boy over there?" I immediately got nervous. "Yes." I said.

Then she said... "Well, he had an accident. Pee is going everywhere." Now, I get that this was a 'had to be there' kind of moment. But, the way she said it was as if she had NEVER had a child wet their pants and was pronouncing judgment on me. She wanted him off the playground ASAP.

I approached the boy with the pee on his pants and he was terribly embarrassed. He had wet his pants on the mulch, not on the playground equipment but she was staring me down waiting for my exit. Then, to make matters worse, her friend showed up for a play-date and she begin to point and make faces as she described her disapproval.

I think this was a bad case of 'snooty.' Did I need to know that my child had an accident? Of course. But, would he probably have run by me a minute later and brought it to my attention without the public embarrassment of the Accident Police? Absolutely.

So, come on moms... we have to stick together. I have noticed the judgement between mothers since I became a mom five years ago. Moms ask other moms questions just to gloat and brag about their own child? Like, "Is your baby sleeping through the night? Oh, he's not???? Little Johnny has been sleeping all night since he was one day old."

My dad and his immense wisdom gave me a great answer to all of those judgemental moms. He said, "When they say something that is mean and judgmental, say, 'Well, my baby does 20 baby push-ups every morning.'"

Makes me smile. I think of it whenever I am standing in front of a judgemental mom.

And the truth of the matter is... we just don't need that from each other. Motherhood is a challenge. And no matter how you choose to go about it, the judgement of others always seems to be there. But, who made any of us the standard that all other mothers should live up to?

Jack Welch, an American businessman and author said at a recent leadership conference, "Don't be more proper than you really are; don't be snooty. People hate snooty." So, if our nose is higher in the air than it should be, which basically means we think we're better than someone else, we should take a minute to remember that it is not well received. Instead, be a person of authenticity who exudes the fruits of the spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Qualities that are always well received.

2 comments:

  1. I hate that- not sure why women can be so mean to each other. We really need each other. I love you and am sorry that happened. Boo Boo Ba Boo to her

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad is too cute...20 baby push ups! The other Mom is going to get water in her nose if it ever rains again. Hang in there, you'll be richly rewarded one day. Bonnie Glover

    ReplyDelete