Friday, November 5, 2010

Perserverance




I remember everything about this moment in history. I stayed up with my dad to watch the United States win the Gymnastics Gold Medal after Kerri Strug's final vault. The difference between the gold and silver medal would be determined by a teenage girl. Talk about pressure!

We sat on the edge of our seats as Kerri approached her first vault. Because this was her best event, it was a shock to everyone when she botched her landing. And she was hurt. She limped back to execute her 2nd and final vault. This is the moment she left such an imprint on my life and on the lives on many others. She could have quit right then and no one would have blamed her. But her dream of winning a gold medal was so strong that she decided to persevere through her pain and proceed.

I haven't seen this clip since the night it happen 14 years ago, but I have played it out in my head many times when I felt like giving up. Watching it again brings tears to my eyes... reminding me that my dreams deserve my determination. So do yours...

Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:4

No comments:

Post a Comment