Wednesday, January 26, 2011

If You've Carried A Watermelon...



When I think about insecurity, I can't help but be reminded of Jennifer Grey's character, 'Baby,' from Dirty Dancing. You can see it all over her face that she desperately wants to say something impressive. However, what comes out is... "I carried a watermelon."

I wish I could say that I've never been in Baby's shoes... but just yesterday I let insecurity get the best of me and said something brilliant like "I carried a watermelon." I was left pondering how easily I let myself be tossed by the wave of insecurity. I think it comes down to who is determining our worth. If, even for a moment, we take the job of determining our worth and value out of the hands of God- we immediately feel insecure. When we start looking to someone else for security- something they ultimately cannot provide, we feel shaken. Since the opinions of others are fickle, our worth found in people is on unstable ground.

There is someone that can make you feel secure. In fact, He embodies the definition of secure: safe, dependable, trustworthy, guaranteed and certain. When we put our security in God, we can stand on His secure foundation and know that He determines our worth. So, so what if you've 'carried a watermelon' lately... God's love for you is so deep and so wide that it cannot be grasped. In Psalm 16 David writes, 'Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure.' His opinion of you pales in comparison to your greatest admirer.

I am not sure if this blog was for anyone else or not. It could just be me working something out through a blog. But, if nothing else... I can cross off another item from my bucket list- to use my FAVORITE movie of all time as an illustration for a biblical principle... Hahaha... Just kidding... sort of.

Just remember, if God is for you, then NOBODY puts baby in the corner!

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I will quit while I'm ahead. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment