Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mindya Business...



Right out of the gate, Jeremy had a paper due for his masters degree. We thought his college days were behind him and now he was rusty at cranking out term papers. So, to be helpful, I read over his first paper just to give it a second pair of eyes. Before I knew it, I was rewriting the paper myself and researching his books to 'help' him make a good grade on the first paper. On the second paper, I started to do the same thing... figuring that at the end of this two-year journey I would probably have an honorary masters degree. But, I was feeling stress over getting it done since I had an overload of my own work to complete. He was stressed because the way we worded things was different and he wasn't sure he would be able to defend his work if I was really the one doing it.

When I went to bed that night... I told God, "I feel so stressed. Please help me get all that I need to get done." And I felt like he answered me very simply, "If you want to get your stuff done without being stressed, then mindya business!" Apparently, God watched the same Fresh Prince episode. Nevertheless, He gave it to me straight. I had my hand in something that it had no business being in and because of that, I was feeling stressed. I was also creating tension between Jeremy and I. So, the next morning... I apologized to Jeremy and vowed to stay out of his masters degree other than to be a listening ear when he needed it. And low and behold, the boy has pulled straight A's the whole time without me lifting my pinkie finger. He has been able to experience success in his degree that he may never have felt if I would have continued to mettle.

Minding your own business is one BIG way you can simplify your life. This is not to say that we shouldn't be compassionate towards others and help when there is a need. But, so many times, we get involved in things that we have NO business being a part of. In addition to that, we want to be in the know about issues that don't concern us. Have you ever spent time conniving... trying to figure out all the details to one big, juicy piece of gossip... only to wish you wouldn't have gotten in the middle of it later? If you're feeling stressed today, is it possible that there is an area in your life where you need to Mindya Business?

And let me testify to this... minding your own business is FREEDOM!!! Every now in then, I hear a tidbit about something and wonder what the WHOLE story is. But, I tell myself- Mindya Business and I feel immediate freedom in not ALWAYS needing to know everything. Not to mention, I ask myself... What can you stay out of today? And it feels so good to not take on problems that don't belong to me. In 1 Corinthians 2:2 AMP Paul says "For I resolved to know nothing (to be acquainted with nothing, to make a display of the knowledge of nothing, and to be conscience of nothing) among you except Jesus Christ (the Messiah) and him crucified." Paul was minding his own business and his only business was Christ.

I am a stay at home mom, I work from home and my day has plenty of business of its own. I am sure yours does too. So, if life is feeling frantic for you, simplify your life and Mindya Business!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts Ashli! Life is much simpler is we would all mind our own business.

    ReplyDelete